Wanderin in Puerto Princesa, Palawan: Places To See

by - Thursday, January 12, 2017




A piece of heaven on earth.
Azure waters so transparent you can see the fishes while on boat Perfect sunny weather in a rainy season of May
No crowded places and stretches of white sand
White sands, homey inn with a perfect view of the sunrise and sunset.

Didn’t I tell you it's paradise?


This was how my cousin Nina eloquently described her first trip to Puerto Princesa, Palawan. And her breathtaking pictures back up her claim:

Image credit: Nina Gatan

Image credit: Nina Gatan


Image credit: Nina Gatan

Beautiful aren't they? These images were taken about six years ago. That’s how long I’ve been dreaming of going to Puerto Princesa. I had marveled both its captivating natural beauty captured in my cousin's pictures and hoped that one day, I’d have the chance to experience it myself.

Fortunately, I had that opportunity when my family and I went there on holiday just days before Christmas. The trip came as surprise to me since I wasn’t used to going out of town for the holidays. Nevertheless, it was a pleasant, long-awaited surprise. Finally, my Palawan dream was being realized.

Puerto Princesa is a coastal city in Palawan on the western portion of the Philippines. We got there after an hour flight from Manila.

During our three day trip,we got to do some pretty interesting things in Puerto Princesa. The first day was a tour of some of the popular tourist spots such as the Mitra Ranch, Baker's Hill and The Palawan Wildlife Rescue and Conservation Center.

We enjoyed the scenic view of Honda Bay and the city at the Mitra Ranch. 



This ranch owned by the family of the late House Speaker Ramon Mitra Jr. is a popular tourist spot in Puerto Princesa. It offers zipline adventures but most people go there for the vast greenery, the horses and the amazing view.

We also tried out the freshly baked goodies and shakes at Baker’s Hill. This place is known for Hopia Ube but I think their Hopia Monggo is really good too.





It was surprising to find a colorful and fun play area for kids at Baker's Hill. I think it adds to the place's appeal.


On the wild side, we were able to get up close and personal with the reptiles at The Palawan Wildlife Rescue and Conservation Center.  Did you know some crocodile species are endangered?


The second day was for Honda Bay. I would probably consider the island hopping at Honda Bay the highlight of this trip. The three islands we went to ( Starfish Island, Luli Island and Cowrie Island) have their own unique topography and allure. Before the island hopping, we rented some snorkeling gear and aqua shoes. It's a good thing we bought a pair for my daughter before the trip. 

Starfish island is named for the sea stars that are abundant in the area. We found a few of them by the shore. We also got to snorkel and feed a lot of small fishes with pieces of bread. It was quite an exhilarating experience.





Off to the next island: Luli!

The second island, Luli is short for "Lulubog-Lilitaw" or Sink & Rise. This island disappears when the tide is high and reappears when it is low. Luckily, it was low tide when we were there. Like the previous, we snorkeled and fed the fishes too. The fishes here were a bit bigger though.



The last island in our tour is Cowrie island which named after the a small-to-large mollusc. It  has a pavillion, several cabanas and thatched roof spa huts. A number of water activities such as jet skiing and banana boat rides are offered. 






It was a day of fun in the sun. We had a great time island hopping!

Of course, the foodie in me wouldn’t miss trying out some local delicacies. I got to taste two exotic dishes for the first time in Puerto Princesa: tamilok and crocodile sisig.



                     
Truly, our trip to Puerto Princesa though short, was fun and memorable. We got to bond as a family over exciting and enjoyable activities.


Eco-tourism is a delicate and continuous balancing act. We all want to showcase our teeming natural resources but I think we need to do so in a way that doesn’t harm them. From what I have observed, the people of Puerto Princesa are doing their best to preserve cleanliness and order with the influx of tourists from all over. I didn’t see a lot of trash on the islands of Honda Bay and in the city proper. The people are also friendly and hospitable.  I think as visitors we need to do our part and follow the rules. As parents, we could teach our children the value of  keeping the environment clean and taking care of our natural resources.




As I was going around the city, I noticed a lot of foreign visitors. Even if I wasn’t a local, I was proud that they were interested in Puerto Princesa’s natural wonders and vibrant local culture. But at the same time, I wondered how many Filipinos remain foreigners to their own land, their own culture. I wondered how many are still dreaming of going to many of our country’s scenic spots. The world is taking notice. Why shouldn’t we? The time is now. Explore. Capture. Appreciate. And perhaps, ultimately, care more about our country.



Almost paradise.

So, did I see what my cousin previously described? My short honest answer is no. I didn’t see clear blue waters. The empty beaches have been replaced with crowded ones. But then, I didn’t see enough of Puerto Princesa to judge. My experience is only a small and shallow portion of what this “city in a forest” has to offer. Perhaps, the times have changed. Possibly, the paradise she was talking about now lies beyond the grasps of tourists safely cocooned in its bosom for generations to come. Perhaps, next time I need to be more a traveler and less of a tourist and truly immerse myself in its natural and man-made wonders, people and culture. Perhaps then, I can rediscover paradise.

I would also love to explore other parts of Palawan (El Nido and Coron) and the southern part of the country. I have been abroad a few times but when it comes to my own country, I haven’t been outside Luzon. Getting to know my country and our diverse culture is one of my #travelgoals.











You May Also Like

0 comments